Page 1 of 6
The Hibben Story
The "Hibben Story" began with one of the denomination's most influential members, Francis Asbury, who was sent to America by John Wesley in 1771. Asbury visited Charleston for the first time in 1785. On one of his subsequent visits, Asbury found enough interested persons to organize a "Methodist Society" in Mount Pleasant SC, probably around 1799. The members of the "Methodist Society", who later began the Mount Pleasant Church, lived in the surrounding areas of Mount Pleasant on the large plantations and came to the resort area during their periods of vacation. This would certainly establish a definite kinship with Asbury that few Churches can make claim.
Of course, no page on Hibben history would be complete without a discussion of the history of the Methodist Church and its doctrines. So, a brief discussion of these topics with a link to an excellent source is provided at the bottom of this page.
Old, Old Hibben
The original Hibben Church which we refer to as "Old, Old Hibben" was erected on the corner of Hibben and Bennett Streets on property donated by Major James Hibben on December 19, 1809. Around 1830, a church was built on this property. There were 12 charter members. During the War Between the States, the church was used as a hospital. By 1868, it was so badly in need of repair that is was razed. From then to 1899, the Methodists worshipped in the Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church building.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 10 August 2011 14:17