News & Events
All in-person church gatherings are currently suspended. Sunday worship service will take place online on our public Facebook page and on our Youtube channel. Tentatively, in-person services will begin July 5. The church office is open limited hours with limited staff. All staff continue to work and are available by email as listed on our staff page or through the church phone number – 843-884-9761.
June 13 – Re-opening update & guidelines
These directions were created out of recommendations from DHEC, the South Carolina Conference United Methodist Church, participants in the survey from Hibben membership, members of the Reopen Long Range Committee.
Preparing to Come to the Sanctuary for Worship
- We will provide registration so that you can indicate which service you will attend. It is not a requirement for attendance but will allow you and those leading worship to see how many are estimated to attend. DHEC recommends that proper Distancing allows for 20% to 25% of space to be occupied. In the sanctuary, that allows for around 110 to 120 persons.
- Please enter through the front parking lot main doors unless mobility issues are present and then use the office suite double glass doors. These are the only doors that will be open in the building. Please make an effort to park in area that best reflects your mobility and be patient with the longer walk to the front. In these early weeks, traffic in the building will be limited.
- Please bring a mask and be prepared to use it during the duration of the service. If you do not have a mask, one will be provided for you. The primary danger in our gathering comes from the proximity to virus droplets that accumulate in number over an extended period of time. The masks enable us to offer protection to others and protect us from unknowingly spreading harm to others.
- Hand Sanitizer Stations will be present at each door and Ushers will assist you in moving to a seat. Hymnals, Pew Bibles and Attendance Registers will also be removed.
- One Usher will have responsibility for creating a listing of names of those in attendance so that in case of a new case of Covid by an attendee worship participants may be contacted for self isolation purposes.
Preparing to Come to the CLLC for Worship
- Please enter through the glass doors at the front of the CLLC. Other doors will be closed and access to the building will be limited to gym and adjacent areas.
- We will provide registration so that you can indicate which service you will attend. It is not a requirement for attendance but will allow you and those leading worship to see how many are estimated to attend. DHEC recommends that proper Distancing allows for 20% to 25% of space to be occupied. In the CLLC space utilized by The Well that allows for around 80 people.
- Above information for Sanctuary translates to CLLC space as well.
As We Worship Together
- Social Distancing Guidelines mean that we will have pews marked with recommended spacing guidelines. Ushers will assist you in being seated and leaving the buildings.
- Initially we will not open up Nursery but will enjoy the children in the worship service with us. Disposable activity bags will be prepared weekly so that families can either dispose at church or take home.
- Choir music will be prepared ahead of time and will be presented digitally so that participants are safe as well as those who enjoy their musical gifts.
- Our restrooms in the office hall will be open for one person at a time. Ushers will assist with these guidelines and after every use the bathroom will be disinfected in ways recommended by DHEC.
- If anyone becomes sick while in the sanctuary, a room will be available so that they may isolate until they are able to leave the building. This room will be kept closed for the following 24 hours and then disinfected. In the Sanctuary building, the room is the Conference Room and in the CLLC it is the back hall conference room.
- We will not receive Holy Communion by intinction but each person will receive a pre-packaged offering to restrict handling.
Leaving the Worship Spaces
- Traffic patterns will have been established and Ushers will assist you in leaving the spaces.
- Sanctuary will be disinfected following each worship service; and the CLLC as well.
After We Leave the Campus
- Further cleaning will prepare the spaces for next gathering.
May 22 – Following guidelines provided by the South Carolina Annual Conference and after discussion with local health professionals, we have set a plan for Reopening the building to worship. On June 21, we will have one worship service at 8:15 with an attendance limit of 120 in the sanctuary. On June 28, we will have regular worship schedule with regular locations with proper distance and capacity percentage.
Digital worship will continue weekly at 10:30. These plans are designed to give us opportunity to properly disinfect the worship space, to set movement patterns for social distancing and to make adjustments as needed. We will evaluate opening of Sunday School and Children’s Church as we move into July.
All decisions are being made with the trust that religious, medical and government officials are providing information that creates a healthy environment for us. Please pray for all of us in these days of rediscovery and new discoveries.
April 23 – All in person gatherings have been suspended through May 20, 2020. Click here to read the statement from South Carolina Bishop Jonathan Holston.
March 17 – In keeping with our desire to “Do No Harm”, we will not gather for worship this Sunday in the Sanctuary. We will live stream a worship experience on Hibben’s Facebook page and YouTube channel. The worship experience will be designed upon whatever reality is defined with gathering definitions. But you are invited to be a part of a virtual worship experience at 10:30 am. It is our plan to use streaming again on March 29. Please check future emails for an April schedule. The Church Office will be working remotely during these days. Please call either individuals or the church office for questions or concerns. Staff will be available and ready to respond. Opportunities to give while we are out of the Sanctuary spaces are by snail mail, securely on hibbenumc.org (
In order to “Do Good”, I encourage you to adopt an isolated individual or one in a senior facility and check in by phone or by old fashioned mail. We also have senior adults who are used to being much more active than the next weeks will allow. Please check in with them as well. Consider having a meal or groceries delivered. Sunday Schools consider that you have technology that will allow you to “meet” at Sunday School time or any other time that you choose. Digital meeting sites such as Zoom are often free and there is always your phone on speaker. If you need help setting up an account contact Rev. Sara White, Jessica Rodman or Amanda Moore.
Always “Worship the Lord, your God”, take time to read scripture. Use the online devotional materials available. Watch for offerings that come through Hibben Facebook. Learn a new Christian song. Make a prayer list. And pray for one another and your neighbors. Many Sunday School classes and Bible Studies have started meeting through Zoom. Please contact Jessica Rodman if you would like to learn how to join one of these groups.